Ayurveda is an ancient medicinal system of India. It is almost 5000 yr old medicinal therapy. The traditional Vedic system of medicine that uses a combination of lifestyle , food ,medicine and yoga postures to treat the diseases.
Ayurveda is made up of two words –
‘Ayur’ which means life and ‘Veda’which means knowledge so Ayurveda literature gives knowledge about life.
In Indian tradition it is believed that food should be taken as medicine which prevent the need for medicine.
Ayurveda works on two basic principles :
(1) To prevent the diseases – To safeguard an individual from diseases by following a natural healthy routine and diet .
(2) To cure the diseases – This is the second principle of Ayurveda medicinal system . This principle is fulfilled by following natural ways : Panchkarma , Ayurveda medicines and different healthy routine.
Ayurveda history in Indian civilization –
Ayurveda is very deep medicinal science. It’s not easy to explain it in one article. In India since centuries people live a Ayurvedic life. The food that people eat is made up of medicinal herbs like ginger, turmeric, black pepper etc. Food should be cooked according to the season i.e. in hot seasons people doesn’t prefer food mixed with so many spices. Same in cold season cold water, cold food should not be taken.
Basic mode of action of Ayurveda
- If your mind, body and spirit are in harmony with nature then the person can stay healthy physically as well as mentally.
- Every thing living or nonliving is made up of five basic elements found in the universe i. e. Space, air, fire, water, earth. so these five elements should be maintained in a healthy proportion to prevent as well as to cure the diseases.
- Ayurveda treatment of a particular diseases is different in different person. It works on the basic nature (Prakriti) of the individual i. e. Vata, pitta and kapha.
- Vata Prakriti represents dry, cold, pain, underweight type of nature of Individual. So these kind of person most commonly suffer from diseases that cause dryness and weakness in the body.
- In case of pitta Prakriti (nature) of body. Person usually suffer from skin diseases, Liver diseases if that person does n’t follow healthy routine.
- Same happens with the person having kapha Prakriti i. e. these kind people eaisly suffer from cough and cold specially upper respiratory tract infection if that person will not take proper food that is against the nature of kapha.